Re: Emacs and electric fence?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and electric fence?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:17:03 +0200

> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:38:29 -0500
>
> Has anyone tried to get Emacs working with the Electric Fence package
> (the poor man's Purify)? I started trying it while working on an
> Emacs or Xlib bug I ran into (see my "possible Xlib problem" email
> from 6 Mar), but it appears that on my system it allocates memory from
> a different part of the address space than normal malloc, and thus all
> the XPNTR-based macros break, pure storage handling gets weird, etc.

First, please look at etc/DEBUG, where it talks about debugging Emacs
with Purify: perhaps some of the advice there is relevant for Efence
as well.

Second, the first thing to do in these cases is to get temacs compiled
with Efence work.  That is, try first to get the following work
reasonably well:

          temacs -nw -l loadup

If that works, try this:

          temacs -l loadup

Frequently, even by working in temacs, you will already see some bugs
that affect the dumped Emacs as well.

The next step is to #define CANNOT_DUMP and CANNOT_UNEXEC and run the
real Emacs, as etc/DEBUG suggests.