Re: Wizards and W3 integration (was: Re: A road map for Oort Gnus)

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Wizards and W3 integration (was: Re: A road map for Oort Gnus)
Date: 17 Apr 2001 12:57:02 +0200

> Given this description, I don't understand how did you get to
> discussing HTML and W3.  This sounds like a possible extension of
> Customize, plus some glue to go through several options in a
> predefined order.  Am I missing something?

Basically, there are four proposals.

#1. To use HTML with embedded customize widgets and Emacs Lisp as the
basis for the saints.  Basically, an interactive tutorial where you
can set the options directly from the tutorial using embedded
customize widget, with the smartness (if any) programmed with embedded
Emacs Lisp.

This is already implemented in Bill Perrys W3.  Demonstration at

(one embedded customize widget, no smartness).  The page only make
sense with Emacs W3.

In your words, we would use HTML as the glue between the options.

#2. Some kind of rule based knowledge base, proposed by Lars.  I have
no idea what this would

#3. Use the saint foundation developed for JDE.  Apparently, this is
an Emacs Lisp only solution using a library build on top of customize
and eieio.

#4. A pure customize solution.  The customize framework already allows
special purpose groups with existing options listed in a specific
order.  I wrote one for Gnus as a demonstration, which I have attached
to this message.  Load the file, and type 'M-x gnus-virgin <ret>'.

My preference is #1, but even though it is already implemented, it is
mostly useless as long as w3 is not integrated in Emacs.