Unicode/Mule (Re: null-device)

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Unicode/Mule (Re: null-device)
Date: 19 Jul 2001 07:40:00 +0200

> We cannot consider eliminating the Mule support until we have
> something better to replace it.

Mule has issues (and you all know about them); maybe, the \201 issue is
fixed by -- unfortunately, I've still to handle broken files coming in
(on account of the Translation Project).  It was (and is?) Emacs
creating those files.  And Emacs 21.x is still clueless to detect this
mess and to guide the user to fix this files.  If you're interested in
example files I can make those files available.

And then this rule "é" != "é" (in case you're using different charsets).
Why doesn't this rule apply for "a", too?  I believe I know the reason:
Emacs/Mule forces "western" users to accept special far east
assumptions.  The consequence is, Gnus often thinks it has to create a
multipart message...  Yes, it will only do so if you'll enter three 'y'
(yes) in a row -- this isn't "user-friendly" (Eli).

I again admit my techinical knowledges are rather limited; for details
please re-read Eric Naggum's statements (I'm still convinced he's
right).  It isn't Eric alone who argues against Mule.

> In general, it is not useful to speculate about whether other
> people will want to do a certain job--whether that be implementing
> Unicode in Emacs, or something else.  If you want to work on it,
> you're invited; if you don't, you don't have to, but then let's

Yes, I'm all with you (really).  But it's Eli who permanently complains
"we don't have enough developers".  Sure, you don't have to follow
proposals by Eric Naggum, Werner LEMBERG or me to improve the
situation.  It isn't nice to blame us who we try to show ways out.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o