Re: Unicode support

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Unicode support
Date: 25 Jul 2001 17:55:52 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> Changing shape after each typed character will probably have
> undesirable effects on many optimizations used by the Emacs redisplay
> engine, specifically those for inserting a single character.  That's
> why I suggested to go about it as we do with just-in-time font-lock,
> i.e. defer them a bit.

I think it's much more important that the users get what they expect --
if people that type in arabic find constantly mutating characters the
most natural way for things to work, then I think saving a few cycles is
not worth it (the direct-insert optimizations are worth less and less in
general these days anyway, with machines getting faster and faster).

Of course they might _like_ `deferred resolution', ...

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche