Re: How about a non-nil and non-t value of show-trailing-whitespa ce?

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: How about a non-nil and non-t value of show-trailing-whitespa ce?
Date: 30 Jul 2001 15:59:50 +0200

> However, having thought about it, I realised I was really trying to
> create a workaround (doing show-trailing-whitespace only for VC files)
> for the undesirable effects of the underlying feature
> (show-trailing-whitespace itself).  The current semantics (never show
> trailing whitespace and always show trailing whitespace) are too blunt.
> What is the point of showing trailing whitespace in someone else's file?
> Or in a buffer generated by Emacs?  What does the user gain by seeing it
> highlighted?

Your reasoning sounds fine to me, but I think this is a too specific
usage to warrant any special extension for it.  For example, other
users might be perfectly happy to just toggle show-trailing-whitespace
every now and then with a short, user-defined key sequence.

A vc-checkout-hook will let you do what you want rather easily,
without introducing a special feature that only few users, IMHO, would
find useful.

This is just my personal opinion of course; any other comments?