Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:22:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:16:29 -0400
>>
>> I still think that overlapping handlers *should* work: if they don't
>> it should be fixed.
>
> I don't think I disagree.  It just requires to change how the handlers
> work, because right now, it's a Wild West out there: whoever hooks the
> operation last has the con.

I think it's okay to have this mechanism.  Each filename handler can
decide to invoke the remaining filename handlers, if so desired.

The mechanism leads to problems with operations which take two
filenames as arguments, because then a simple-minded strategy might
not work, but these problems can be solved.  (Currently, copy-file and
ange-ftp follow such a simple strategy: copy-file uses the first
filename to decide on the handler to invoke, and ange-ftp uses a
too-simple strategy to find the right handler for the second
filename.)  --  There was a thread about this beginning of August.

kai
--
Linux provides a nice `poweroff' command, but where is `poweron'?