Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:13:27 -0400

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 12:52:11 -0400
>
> > > That's just like Tramp and ange-ftp: it will first go through jka-compr
> > > which will then pass /cygdrive/d/foo/bar.tar.gz again through the
> > > handlers (but this time while disabling itself, so the cygwin magic
> > > can happen).
> >
> > Hmm.. doesn't this depend on the specific handler?  For example, a
> > handler that needs to stat the file will need to deal with the Cygwin
> > thing first, to get a real file name, right?
>
> I don't understand your question.  Why "first" as opposed to
> "sooner or later" (as long as the intermediate handlers don't mess
> things up).

Maybe I don't understand the issue.

Let's take the operation of file-executable-p, for example.  Should
that operation for /cygdrive/d/foo/bar.gz return information about the
compressed or uncompressed file?  If the latter, the Cygwin handler,
if there is one, should be called before jka-compr, or else jka-compr
will say that the file doesn't exist.  Am I missing something?