Re: Deep magic in Makefiles?

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Deep magic in Makefiles?
Date: 16 Oct 2001 14:47:12 +0100

 AS> address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:
 AS> |> Hi,
 AS> |>
 AS> |> can anyone enlighten me, why is the following needed
 AS> |>
 AS> |> /* We won't really call alloca;
 AS> |>    don't let the file name alloca.c get messed up.  */
 AS> |> #ifdef alloca
 AS> |> #undef alloca
 AS> |> #endif
 AS> |>
 AS> |> Why we simply do not do
 AS> |>
 AS> |> #undef alloca

 AS> There may be some pre-standard preprocessors that choke on this if alloca
 AS> is not defined.

Yes, that's done in several places, though I suspect it's not done in
other places which would show problems if someone was building with
such a preprocessor.

Anyhow, Emacs should use the normal autoconfism for alloca and forget
about the ancient assembler implementations.  If there's evidence
they're needed, autoconf needs to support them.