Re: lexical mumblings

From: Andrew Innes
Subject: Re: lexical mumblings
Date: 19 Oct 2001 13:16:14 +0100

On 19 Oct 2001 11:40:16 +0900, Miles Bader <address@hidden> said:

> Lexical binding for emacs is a perennially popular topic (I first
> remember talking about it [with Jamie Zawinski] in 1992), but as Stefan
> Monnier pointed out recently, no one ever actually seems to do anything
> about it, despite its obvious benefits.  I'd like to talk about how to
> actually do it.

Hi Miles,

I don't have time to read and reply to your message properly right now,
but just to say that I partly implemented lexical support a while ago
(having thought about it for years).  The interpreter is fully lexically
scoped (including closures), and the bytecode interpreter supports new
opcodes for lexical support.  I started making changes to the byte
compiler to generate the new op-codes, but ran out of time.

I believe I last updated my patches for 20.7.  I'll dig them out and
send them to you.

I'll reply in detail to your message later.

Cheers,
AndrewI