Re: Building fails on Debian woody because of stupid autoconf wrapper

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Building fails on Debian woody because of stupid autoconf wrapper
Date: 19 Oct 2001 23:34:57 +0900

I've just tried to compile emacs using autoconf-2.52 with the new
patches, and things break slightly because of the following line in
`configure.in':

  configuration=$host_alias

The problem is that in autoconf-2.13, `host_alias' was always set, if
not by the user via the configure command line, then by autoconf using
config.guess.  In autoconf-2.52, on the other hand, host_alias is only
set if the user actually specifies a host on the configure command line.

Among other things, this leads to `exec-directory' having the wrong
value, so describe-variable/function don't work.

I changed it to:

  configuration=${host_alias:-$host}

which seems to solve the problem for me, but I'm not entirely sure if
it's the correct fix (is there really any reason not to just use $host
unconditionally?).

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that