Re: Emacs 21 font issues and manual window manipulation.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 font issues and manual window manipulation.
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:33:04 +0200 (IST)

On 22 Oct 2001, Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> > > This work in theory but there is no way for me to get an x-offset and
> > > y-offset for the tooltip because Emacs doesn't provide any way for me to
> > > find the x-offset and y-offset for the pointer.
> >
> > I think you don't need to.  See the doc string of x-show-tip: it says that
> > if
> > tooltip-frame-parameters alist includes `left' and `top' parameters, these
> > parameters determine where the tooltip is popped.
>
> Yes... but where do I get the integer value for left and top?

These are the coordinates of point in character cell units, like for any
other Emacs frame.  You should be able to compute them from the top and
left coordinates of the frame or window and the relative position of
point inside the window.

> > Adding this would be a simple matter of providing a Lisp wrapper around
> > glyph_to_pixel_coords, I think.
>
> I assume that on *NIX systems this is defined in xterm.c?

Probably, but "M-." will tell ;-)

> This is frame-relative and x-show-tip is display relative.  I need to get the
> x,y coords for the point WRT the display.

??? Why wrt the display?  Don't you want the tooltip at some frame-relative
position, or even just near point, as if the user moved the mouse pointer
above the text she just typed?

> BTW it is *REALLY* awesome to see this mailing list has been created :)

It existed for more than a year, the only news is that it is now public,
so you can subscribe if you want.  But you could post to it even before.