Re: question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: question
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:25:58 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Calin Vatavu wrote:

> Now at the core of Emacs is ELisp

That's not entirely true.  At the core of Emacs is a Lisp interpreter
written in C.  Many display- and OS-related primitives work directly on
the C level.

> but should I dare to hope that this will  change some day?

Hardly.  It's too much work, and the benefits are not really evident.
IMHO, at least.

> I mean, if I want to add a new programming mode to emacs
> (graphical structograms etc. see X32 editor at
> http://www.blue-river-software.com) I don't think I could write it in
> ELisp.Maybe in Perl, Python or even C.

I don't see anything in X32 that cannot be done in Emacs.  Many of those
features are already supported by Emacs even today.

> And there is another issue: if you want Emacs to stay alive in the future
> then you should change it at its core. Look at the sentmail and qmail:
> sendmail is cool, but very hard to configure, qmail is not. That's why so
> many sites quit using sendmail for qmail.

I don't see any contradiction between customizability and core
stability.  Customization is a user-level facility, so it's much higher
in level than the core issues.  With enough work, you can build an easily
customizable package on top of a lousy core, and vice versa.