Re: timer handlers and ^G

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: timer handlers and ^G
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:27:08 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Ken Raeburn wrote:

> Problem 1: The nnimap code doesn't seem to cope well when the
> connection has gone away.  (I have no connection open to mekinok at
> the moment, according to netstat.)  Also, the nnimap code probably
> shouldn't even try to expire articles on a server for which
> nnimap-authenticator is anonymous.  Those are issues for the Gnus
> folks.
>
> Problem 2: In timer.el, all event handlers are run with quits
> disabled.  I can understand not wanting the handler list to get
> corrupted, but not being able to interrupt the handler seems like a
> poor idea.

This was discussed some time ago.  Richard says that he found
interrupting the timers very dangerous, because it could leave Emacs in
an unstable state.  The recommendation is for code that runs off timers
to be written so that it cannot hang.

If the timer handler is written so that its author is _positive_ it can
be interrupted, that code can enable quitting.