Re: timer handlers and ^G

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: timer handlers and ^G
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:24:51 +0200

address@hidden (Gerd Moellmann) writes:

> Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Problem 2: In timer.el, all event handlers are run with quits
>> disabled.  I can understand not wanting the handler list to get
>> corrupted, but not being able to interrupt the handler seems like a
>> poor idea.
>
> We had that on pretest-bug recently.  I think it's not generally a
> good idea, from the perspective of the user, to let C-g interrupt
> functions run from a timer because (a) the user might not be aware
> that such a function is running, and (b) because not all such
> functions can cope with being interrupted.  I suggested to Simon
> Josefson, I believe, to explicitly bind inhibit-quit to nil in Gnus if
> Gnus can cope with that.

Sorry I didn't get back on that -- I changed it in my copy of Gnus and
haven't seen it since, but I do not know if it was due to the server
getting better (the problem only happened when there was a very slow
or hanging network connection to the server) or if it really is fixed.
It was sort of difficult to reproduce, except during that day under
the specific network characteristics.