Re: tooltip-delay

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tooltip-delay
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:20:57 -0400

> The default value of tooltip-delay is 1 second.  Over the last couple
> of months I watched several newbies, and came to a conclusion that
> this delay is a bit too long: many users move the mouse pointer before
> the tip pops up, and thus lose the information Emacs would have shown
> them.

I don't have such an experience, so I can't really comment.
I personally don't find 1 second to be too long, but you might be right.

> AFAICS, other GUI applications pop up tooltips a bit faster.

On my ex-girlfriend's MICROS~1 system, the delay seems to be a good 1s
as well (maybe even more).  But maybe that's only for the desktop.
I haven't actually used it or even watched her use it.

> importantly, most tooltips in other programs have trivial text,
> whereas in Emacs we make a point of putting lots of useful info there.

The problem I see with shortening it is that it might start to become
intrusive for people who don't want to see the tooltip all the time.

> So I'm suggesting to slash the delay to something like 0.6 second.
> What do people feel about this?

I won't object to such a change, tho.

        Stefan