Re: idea -> internal frames?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: idea -> internal frames?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:23:41 -0400

> A good example is the speedbar.  I like the speedbar in Emacs 21...  the only
> problem is that it gets lost in my other X applications (mozilla, xterms,
> etc).
>
> If I could keep it within my current maximized Emacs frame this would allow me
> get work done and keep the speedbar close at hand.
>
> The key here is that this would be "superior" to other windows.  AKA
> (delete-other-windows) would have no affect on an internal frame.

I'm not sure whether it justifies `internal frames'.
But I agree that window manipulation could/should be improved.  Another
example was for the EDE (if I remember correctly) where they wanted
to have a small side-window (for speedbar kind of things) and a small
bottom window (for *Compilation* kind of things) and then allow the user
to split/unsplit the main remaining window without trashing those two
other ones.

Maybe we could try to make the window-hierarchy (inside a frame) more
constraining (i.e. have C-x o only switch within some subset and have
another C-x 7 o to get outside of the set of windows).  I'm not sure
I'm making sense...

Of course, another solution is to use multiple frames and then ask your
window-manager to keep them positioned in a particular way. `scwm' had
that ability since you could use its constraint-solver to force
some frames to always stay side-by-side or to have the same height or ...
Sadly, sawfish killed scwm.

> Not in most cases that I have seen.  I know for a fact that jEdit can handle
> multiple windows just like Emacs.
>
> AKA the following screenshot
>
> http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=screenshot&image=8

I see there multiple windows, but not multiple frames.
Eli asked whether they could create multiple frames, I believe,

        Stefan