Re: idea -> internal frames?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: idea -> internal frames?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:53:18 +0000 (UTC)

   > A good example is the speedbar.  I like the speedbar in Emacs
   > 21...  the only problem is that it gets lost in my other X
   > applications (mozilla, xterms, etc).
   >
   > If I could keep it within my current maximized Emacs frame this
   > would allow me get work done and keep the speedbar close at hand.

As a first experiment, try the window handling code in the SCWM window
manager.  My understanding is that you can set a second window to
follow a first window, at a specified distance, such as touching, or
within much more general constraints.  If my understanding is correct,
you should be able to do everything you want.

Consider this a prototype; find out how you like it, and then consider
what needs to be done to add the features to Emacs.

In Debian, you can install    SCWM version 0.99.6.1-2

    apt-get install scwm

915kb

You may also need the   libcassowary   package, which was available
back in June 2000,  in

    http://master.debian.org/~cesco/

(I've not had time to update any of my scwm experience, so I don't
know whether libcassowary is part of the current scwm or not.)

Also, in Jan 2000, there were tar.gz files at:

    ftp://upintheair.cs.washington.edu/pub/scwm/

At that time, you could get CVS, too:

      export CVSROOT=':pserver:address@hidden:/anoncvs'

      cvs login
      ## type `anoncvs' as the password at the `CVS password:' prompt

      cvs -z9 update -dP

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com