Re: Unicode fonts

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Unicode fonts
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:50:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> People on gnu.emacs.help begin asking about Unicode fonts to use with
> Emacs 21.1.  Intlfonts doesn't have them (IIRC), and we don't say
> anywhere in the docs where to get them.

There is GNU Unifont:

http://czyborra.com/unifont/

I don't know it's license, though.

OTOH, I don't think the idea of a single font for all of Unicode is
suitable for most applications.  Mapping Unicode characters to
multiple fonts seems desirable for me, since the quality of these
non-Unicode fonts is still better, and I don't think this is going to
change soon, and XFree86 (at least older versions) locks completely if
an application requests properties of a font with a large number of
characters, until the complete font has been rendered.