Re: tooltip-delay

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: tooltip-delay
Date: 24 Oct 2001 00:27:25 +0100

> > The default value of tooltip-delay is 1 second.  Over the last couple
> > of months I watched several newbies, and came to a conclusion that
> > this delay is a bit too long: many users move the mouse pointer before
> > the tip pops up, and thus lose the information Emacs would have shown
> > them.
>
> I don't have such an experience, so I can't really comment.
> I personally don't find 1 second to be too long, but you might be right.

Comparing with the sawfish tooltips (which also display copious
information), the delay seems about the same. But Gnome panel seems to
pop up tooltips after about half a second, although they usually
consist of two or three words.

I'm undecided myself. Gnome tooltips seem to pop up a bit too quickly,
I might find them a bit annoying if they were bigger and more
demanding of my attention.

--
Jason Rumney