euro symbol

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: euro symbol
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:28:42 +0200

I made a change to latin-post.el and latin.alt.el for entering the euro
symbol in the italian input styles.

One could made similar changes to the more general latin input styles,
and possibly for other national input styles as well.

However, this is a hack.  In fact, I (while working on a linux console)
use a latin-15 font, which has the euro symbol in place of the latin-1
international currency symbol.  I do so because Emacs does not have
latin-15 input styles.  latin-15 has the same valid characters as
latin-1, but with some some symbols changed to a different meaning.

I suppose Emacs should have latin-15 input styles, but I am not literate
enough in char codings to know all the implications of this addition,
particularly for X.

Speaking about this, I locally use another hack that I find very
useful.  Some characters that in latin-1 (and likeweise in latin-15) are
unmapped, are quite common when reading windows-1215.  I have this in my
default.el:

(progn (or standard-display-table
           (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))
       (aset standard-display-table 128 (vector ?ยค))
       (aset standard-display-table 133 (vector ?. ?.))
       (aset standard-display-table 145 (vector ?`))
       (aset standard-display-table 146 (vector ?'))
       (aset standard-display-table 147 (vector ?"))
       (aset standard-display-table 148 (vector ?")))