Re: Macro CHECK_NUMBER?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Macro CHECK_NUMBER?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:26:30 -0400

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:
>    > The second argument to CHECK_NUMBER is an integer, which I've always
>    > thought was the function argument number.
> But this macro is not always used for checking the type of arguments - look
> at xfns.c, line 1467:

I didn't mean that that's what the integer argument really is, just
that that was what I had assumed prior to actually taking a look at
the situation. :-)

> We are checking the variable which is not an argument. What should we do
> here? Should we use 0 for this case and 1, ... as an argument number and
> report that appropriately?

Perhaps.  Or maybe the second argument should be some Lisp object
describing what thing should've been of the desired type -- for
example, either an integer for an argument position or a lisp variable
name.  I haven't really thought about it much.  But if the non-zero
values passed are argument positions, I think it would be a shame to
not make use of that information.