Re: euro symbol

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: euro symbol
Date: 26 Oct 2001 14:59:25 +0200

I am considering using latin-9 for the Italian input styles, but I am
not sure what is the best way to do that.

Maybe the best way is to define an Italian language environment?  I
could do that by looking at how other European language environments are
implemented.  What is a well-implemented European lang env to start
from?

Also: is it reasonable to assume the latin-9 character set as a default
for the Italian (or any European) language environment?  Isn't it safer
to assume latin-1?  If I choose latin-9 I must have a latin-9 font on
console and on X, and my mail will have an iso-8859-15 code, which maybe
is not as widely known as iso-8859-1.  Are this worries reasonable?