Re: euro symbol

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: euro symbol
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 22:15:48 +0900 (JST)

>>  From: Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>
>>  In fact it *is* a trivial change  (it just adds a new input method for a
>>  single  character in  a single  national language)  that does  not break
>>  anything that  existed before.  I  think it is  also a good  change, and
>>  that  it is better  than before,  given that  no Italian  latin-9 method
>>  curently exists.

> I think it introduces a bug: you promise the user to insert a Euro,
> but in fact insert a different character.

I agree.  If we say E= inserts international currency
character, it may be ok, but, then, I think E= is not a good
key sequence.   How about $ plus one more key?  $$?  address@hidden

>>  However, having  a simple  way to  input the
>>  international currency symbol is good, in my opinion.

I agree on this point.

>>  You cannot always
>>  have a latin-9 font, while latin-1  is much more common.  If you have to
>>  do with latin-1, the international currency is a good substitute for the
>>  euro symbol.  That's why I think that change should be left alone.

> I disagree; I think we should remove this change.  If you are not
> convinced, I guess Gerd and Richard will have to decide.

I also agree on removing this change, or on changing the key
sequencen to a more suitable one for international currency,
and tell users that it is for inserting international
currency, not for euro sign.

>>  More than that, I again ask if people think that the general latin-1 and
>>  national  input  methods  should  have  a similarly  simple  method  for
>>  entering the international currency symbol.

> I don't think I understand what do you mean by that.  Could you please
> elaborate?

I think what he meant is to have a common simple key
sequence for international currency in all the other
postfix-type latin-X input methods that have the
international currency.  Correct?  Then, I agree on that.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden