Re: euro symbol

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: euro symbol
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:57:28 +0200

> From: Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>
> Date: 26 Oct 2001 14:59:25 +0200
>
> I am considering using latin-9 for the Italian input styles, but I am
> not sure what is the best way to do that.
>
> Maybe the best way is to define an Italian language environment?

That's a definite possibility; see lisp/language/european.el: it
already has language environments defined for a few Latin languages,
such as German and Spanish.

> Also: is it reasonable to assume the latin-9 character set as a default
> for the Italian (or any European) language environment?  Isn't it safer
> to assume latin-1?

I don't know what is the best default for Italian.  However, please
note that by setting LANG to something like it.iso8859-15, a user
tells Emacs to use Latin-9 rather than the default.  (At least that's
how this is supposed to work; I didn't try.)