Re: face-attribute returns wrong foreground color for inheriting face.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: face-attribute returns wrong foreground color for inheriting face.
Date: 29 Oct 2001 03:53:13 +0900

address@hidden (David Kastrup) writes:
> Namely if I have in a face the specification
> :inherit '(parent1 parent2)
> and both parent1 and parent2 have relative height specifications (or
> assume that parent1 has relative and parent2 absolute height
> specification), will the result be a combination of the two, or just
> that from parent1?

A combination of the two.

> I think the latter more logical, since I would find it strange to
> combine size specs from different lines of heritage.

It does what the display code does.

As for what's `more logical', I find that both methods make sense,
depending on what the intent of inheriting from multiple faces is (and
of course, the code can't tell your intent, unless some method for
specifying it is added).

For instance, if I have faces:

  `double' -- :height 2.0
  `triple' -- :height 3.0
  `my-face' -- :inherit '(double triple)

It seems rather sensible that `my-face' should have a :height of 6.0.

On the other hand, I may wish to inherit from two scaled faces to pick
up their other attributes, but really wish the size to simply be the
same as (say the first) one of the inherited faces.

In any case, any argument should be made about the way the display
works, not about `face-attribute', which should just mirror what the
display code does.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.