Re: euro symbol

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: euro symbol
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:15:50 -0700 (MST)

    I think it introduces a bug: you promise the user to insert a Euro,
    but in fact insert a different character.

We should not do it that way.  If someone wants to use a Latin-9 font
to display Italian, he should enter the characters as Latin-9.
Conversely, if someone is going to enter Latin-1 characters, he should
know they are Latin-1 characters.

If Emacs is missing some facilities for editing Latin-9 conveniently
as Latin-9, let's add them.  In other words, let's do the job the
clean way.

    More than that.  I mean choosing a key sequence for latin-9 input styles
    to insert the Euro sign.  Then using the same sequence for inserting the
    international currency symbol in latin-1 input styles.

I am not sure about this one.  They are not the same character.