Re: idea -> internal frames?

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: idea -> internal frames?
Date: 29 Oct 2001 00:32:55 -0800

>     > Does it make sense to allow frames to `dock' on other frames?  Emacs
>     > could intercept move/resize events for the main frame and move/resize
>     > the docked frame accordingly.
>     >
>     > Or is this evil?
>
> It seems reasonable to me.  Or maybe Emacs could just implement the speedbar
> as a special window on the side of the frame, so use of the speedbar would not
> mean having two frames.

The speedbar would be a great thing to have displayed in this manner.  The issue
as I see it is that this is a feature I would want extended so that developers
can write code or create project other than just speedbar that perform the same
functionality.

For example I would want UML in this "special window"
(http://www.rational.com/uml/index.jsp)

Or maybe a LRU algorithm based "quick" buffer list.

... basically any information that a developer needs at a quick glance without
having to worry about dropping what he is doing to look it up.

>     Yes.  This was another thing brought up in the design of PluginManager.
>     It seems that about 50% of the people want to have these things as a
>     dedicated window and the other 50% want this as an "inner window" (or
>     whatever it is called).
>
> Could you describe the difference between these two possibilities In
> operational terms?

Take the speedbar scenario.  In the current scenario it is displayed as a
separate frame (right now speedbar only supports one frame).

It would be nice if it could be placed *within* the current frame similar to the
way a buffer would be displayed.

This would allow me to keep a speedbar around for every frame that I use at the
same time keep me from becoming confused as to which speedbar I am currently
using.

Kevin

- --
  Need a good Engineer?  Hire me!  ( Java | P2P | XML | Linux | Open Source )

                      http://relativity.yi.org/bio/

Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
        Jabber - address@hidden,  Web - http://relativity.yi.org

Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, and in cold weather
becomes frozen: even so does inaction sap the vigors of the mind.
  -- Leonardo da Vinci