Re: cursor-in-non-selected-windows as buffer-local

From: md5i
Subject: Re: cursor-in-non-selected-windows as buffer-local
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:17:23 -0500

address@hidden (Gerd Moellmann) writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> When cursor-in-non-selected-windows is made buffer-local, it will turn
>> off cursors in other windows if it is set to nil in the context of the
>> selected window.  I, on the other hand, would prefer to mark a
>> particular buffer as not having a visible cursor unless it is
>> selected.  This would entail changing x_display_and_set_cursor to use
>> the value of cursor-in-non-selected-windows relative to the buffer in
>> the window it is drawing the cursor in, instead of the value based on
>> the currently selected buffer.
>>
>> On the other hand, if the original semantics are still desirable, then
>> cursor-in-non-selected-windows should be made non-boolean, and there
>> should be a particular symbol to set it to in order to get my desired
>> behavior.
>>
>> Any comments?  I posted to emacs-devel rather than emacs-bug because I
>> am willing to do the coding for this.
>
> I think this is more something for the `cursor-type' variable.  Have
> you already noticed it?

I hadn't, but I don't think I can easily use this to do what I want.

For example: I like the default setting of
cursor-in-non-selected-windows being t.  On the other hand, I don't
like seeing an empty-box cursor in my Gnus article buffers.  When I am
actually *in* the article buffer, however, I want my normal box
cursor.  I suppose I could try to hook on the person switching
buffers, and change the value of cursor-type appropriately.  This
would probably fit best under window-configuration-change-hook, but it
seems a little roundabout.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)