Re: Gnuserv

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnuserv
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:34:49 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

>> Maybe it is better to release gnuserv separately.  Emacs is pretty big.
>
> I disagree.  We should simply "replace" emacsclient/emacsserver
> with gnuclient and gnuserv.  Of course, that means we need to be
> careful to remove the incompatibilities between them.

I agree with Stefan.  Gnuserv is the kind "infrastructure" that should
always be part of Emacs, so package authors can depend on them always
being present.

There is a big different between telling users

        Install this to get an environment for WizBang editing in
        Emacs   You need Emacs 21.2 or later

and

        Install this to get an environment for WizBang editing in
        Emacs You need Emacs 21.2 or later plus gnuserv x.y or later.

Added dependencies scare a lot of users away.

And Emacs is no longer a big package.  Application size is relative to
expectations, and user expectations regarding application size has
changed a lot the last couple of years.  It is quite normal for
applications to require multiple CD's, i.e. be in the gigabyte range.