Re: idea -> internal frames?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: idea -> internal frames?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:39:56 +0200

> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:54:24 -0700 (MST)
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
> Some other questions, to figure out what is the most useful feature
> for this job:
>
> * Should there be any keyboard-command to select the Speedbar window?

Yes, I think so, for users who don't have (or don't like) a mouse.

> * Should it be possible for a Lisp program to select the Speedbar
> window, even temporarily?

I don't believe we can get away without some way to do this.

> * Should the speedbar window have the full height of the frame,
> including the minibuffer's share of the height?

It'd be nice if it had the full height, but I don't think it's
mandatory that it did.  If there are imlpementation problems with
that, I think would do with Speedbar that didn't invade the
minibuffer's real estate.

> Anyway, it seems to me that the best feature for this sort of thing is
> to be able to create some special windows at any edge of a frame.
> These windows could be designed so that they never change size except
> when the frame does, and are not deleted by one-window.

Yes, there would be other useful uses of such special windows.  For
example, packages that make Emacs serve as an integrated development
environment (IDE) sometimes want special windows which don't move and
don't get in user's way.