Re: patch for glossary.texi: explain highlighting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: patch for glossary.texi: explain highlighting
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:47:26 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:52:40 +0100
>
> +This is used in several different contexts in Emacs.  It is always used
> +when you mark text with the mouse.  It can be used when you mark text
> +with the keyboard, @ref{Transient Mark}.  It can be used to highlight
> +matches when searching, @ref{Incremental Search}.  A variant of this is
> +`syntax highlighting', see `font lock'.

Thanks.

Could you explain why do you think this should be in Glossary?  I'm
not saying that I object, but in general, a glossary should mainly
explain the terminology.  Meanwhile, the manual already describes
elsewhere what you wrote here.  So I'm guessing you had something
specific in mind when you suggested this; I wonder what that is.

Btw, you cannot use @ref alone, without something like "see" or "as
described in" before it, since @ref produces a raw reference in the
printed manual, something like "page 1234, [Foo bar]".  Imagine this
after the comma that precedes @ref in your text, and you will see what
I mean.