Re: Highlighting rectangles?

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: Highlighting rectangles?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:47:23 +0200

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:10:59 -0700 (MST), Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:

>     It is obvious, that it is not as easy as it seems, because he must first
>     decide, what should be highlighted (region/rectangle). What should be done
>     here? Do we miss something like that?
>
> The idea seems natural, but because of this difficulty, I suspect it
> won't actually be useful.
>
> Yes, we could introduce a command that says "highlight a rectantle
> instead of a region."  But that would not be very convenient on its own
> and would not fit naturally with the existing Emacs command set.

I have implemented block (rectangle) highlighting some years ago, but
I'm not using the point-mark system. I have a different system of marks
(characters mark - same as Emacs original point-mark, line marks that
marks whole lines, and block marks - opposite corners of rectangle).
I have 3 commands for marking, 1 for each type. The highlighting is
done according to the mark type.

I find it very useful.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign