Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Emacs-commit does not catch e

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Emacs-commit does not catch every commit]
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 15:06:08 -0500

"Jason Rumney" <address@hidden> writes:
> I used to have one that I got from an FTP server at Oxford University,
> but now I'm doing all my checkins from Gnu/Linux, since I could
> no longer find it when I got my new machine a couple of weeks ago.
> The only full distributions of kerberos for Windows seem to be at
> US universities and available to staff and students only.

Kerberos for Windows is available from MIT, but under some
restrictions (US/Canadian citizen etc) held over from older crypto
export regs.  We've had some problems getting our lawyers to indicate
under just what conditions we can do the exporting now, and haven't
really had time to pursue it very hard.

Some vendors (e.g., Red Hat) are shipping the UNIX Kerberos sources to
non-US sites, and there's www.crypto-publish.org too.

I don't know anything about Kerberos rsh for Windows though.

> I have been meaning to have a go at compiling it from source using
> Cygwin, but do not have enough time at the moment.

Ought to work, for the basic Kerberos progrems.  Some of the
applications may be trickier.  If some minor fixes are needed, let me
know.

I've been using Kerberos rsh too, for years.  Unlike the Kerberos and
GSSAPI support built into CVS, the Kerberos rsh method handles
cross-realm authentication reasonably.  (I have long since forgotten
my GNU.ORG password; I just use my MIT identity.)

Ken