Re: Highlighting rectangles?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Highlighting rectangles?
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:23:03 -0700 (MST)

    > What happens with the many Emacs commands that operate on the
    > (linear) region?  If you mark a rectangle with your package
    > and then use (say) fill-region, what happens?

    The solution (work around ?) for operations on the block mark that
    need the block as one continuous string is like this:
      1. It is copied to a temp buffer.
      2. The operation is done on the temp buffer.
      3. The original block is deleted and the temp buffer is inserted
         (as a block).
      4. The temp buffer is killed.

I am somewhat lost here, but I have a feeling we are not talking about
the same thing.  fill-region is a standard Emacs command, and it
certainly doesn't use temp buffers in this way.  So you must be
talking about something else.

You seem to be saying you have your own replacement command for
fill-region.  Is that correct?  Have you replaced a large set
of the standard Emacs facilities that operate on the region?

Do you actually use the mark to make your regions, or do you
have a different way of recording the region?