Re: info-mode needs history navigation.

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: info-mode needs history navigation.
Date: 03 Nov 2001 18:01:42 -0800

>     I will be removing Info-last though.  This destroys the Info-history list.
>
> Sorry, I am not sure what that means.  I thought that Info-last would
> be replaced by one of the new history-navigating commands, and I
> thought that you would be upgrading the Info-history list rather than
> destroying it.  Is that not so?

I thought about this some more and I don't really know what the best approach
should be.  Maybe someone could give me some feedback.

The way I see it we need to support history navigation both forwards and
backwords.

I think this leaves us with the following approaches.

1. remove Info-last and create two new functions and bindings including
   Info-history-forwards and Info-history-backwards

    - PROS: elegant and straight forward.

    - CONS: breaks backwards compatibility and requires users to learn new key
      bindings.

2. Keep Info-last and write a new function which handles forward navigation.  I
   don't know what to call this new function (any suggestions?).

    - PROS: keeps backwards compatibility, preserves key bindings.

    - CONS: leaves us in an ackward position because the alternative nav
      function (Info-first) is little confusing.

3. Keep Info-last but this will be an alias for Info-history-backwards and
   pursue case 1.

    - PROS: elegant and straight forward.  Keeps backwards compatibility,
      preserves key bindings.

    - CONS: ???

I think this pretty much sums it up... I would prefer ot implement use case
3...

Thoughts?

Kevin

- --