Re: Yanking text properties

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Yanking text properties
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:07:54 -0700 (MST)

    Personally, I'd like to just change the way `buffer-substring' &c work,
    to respect a list of properties to strip when _cutting_.  Since the
    buffer from which the text came knows about which properties it uses
    that are `wierd', it is in a much better position to do know what to do
    about them.

    So a common value might be '(field read-only)

This could work, but it requires a way to turn off the stripping.
Also, I see a possible problem with it.  Suppose you want
to yank the text into another buffer where the special properties
do make sense.  Should these properties be stripped in that case?

    I'm not sure if doing it at the elisp level (i.e. buffer-substring)
    rather than at the user-level (i.e. kill or yank) is better.

The user command level is clearly the wrong place to do this because
there are any number of different user-level commands that copy text
in and out of the buffer.  And many of them are user-written and not
in the Emacs distribution.  (Think of cua-mode.el.)

One of the reasons for having text properties was so that all the
various commands that copy text using buffer-substring and insert
would automatically handle them.