Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:27:38 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?= wrote:

> Users here in CZ and SK need to use CP1250 and CP852 very often :-( In my
> package they can just click in menu and coding-system cp1250 is defined,
> because it does
>
> (codepage-setup '1250)
>
> I got an idea how to remove that need completely: to invent something like
> autoload for coding systems.

This was discussed before.  The proposed solution was to have something
special for cpNNN coding systems that would automatically call
codepage-setup for them as needed.  It just didn't get implemented...

Please note that the same mechanism should support "windows-NNN", which
are the official names of these encodings.

>     ;; Windows-1250 is a variant of Latin-2 heavily used by Microsoft
>     ;; Outlook users in Czech republic. Use this to allow reading of their
>     ;; e-mails. cp1250 should be defined by M-x codepage-setup.
>     ,@(if (and (not (mm-coding-system-p 'windows-1250))
>                (mm-coding-system-p 'cp1250))
>           '((windows-1250 . cp1250)))

To be useful, this should be done at a much lower level than Gnus, or any
other application package.  IMHO, it would be very confusing to have
codepages automagically available in certain commands, but not in others.

> mm-coding-system-p (or something else, I do not know internals well to
> propose correct place) will see 'cp1250 for the first time and
> auto-magically will do codepage-setup for it.

setup-coding-system and/or coding-system-p sounds about right.