Re: dired-do-toggle

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: dired-do-toggle
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 15:20:53 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.bug/news/@RUM.cs.yale.edu>
> Date: 04 Nov 2001 17:41:47 -0500
>
> How about something like the patch below ?
> It's not a real solution, but at least with it, most things still
> work even when the Emacs gets confused by a strange `ls' date format.

I'd rather not head down that path, as it will do the wrong thing
e.g. if there is a file 'foo' and a file 'bar foo' in the same directory.
That sort of thing is too common for comfort.

Here is an idea for a better heuristic.  If
dired-move-to-filename-regexp fails, then invoke 'ls -ld /////' (with
all the other options that one normally gives 'ls') and then count
print columns till you find the '/////'.  Then strip the same number
of print columns from the questionable ls output.

Neither solution is perfect but I think the 'ls -ld /////' approach
is more likely to work in practice.

PS.  I missed the original bug report that prompted your suggestion.
When does the current dired-move-to-filename-regexp fail?