Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:23:10 +0900 (JST)

>     But if we want to be able to encode/decode things like big chinese
>     charsets into Unicode, it might being to make sense to autoload those
>     big tables (assuming the mapping between the two is such a big table
>     and can't be easily compressed).

> That seems like good reasoning.  Handa, do you agree?
> If Handa agrees, let's install this.

I agree with the idea of autoloading coding system or at
least a translation table or CCL codes used in a coding
system.

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> To be useful, this should be done at a much lower level than Gnus, or any
> other application package.  IMHO, it would be very confusing to have
> codepages automagically available in certain commands, but not in others.

>>  mm-coding-system-p (or something else, I do not know internals well to
>>  propose correct place) will see 'cp1250 for the first time and
>>  auto-magically will do codepage-setup for it.

> setup-coding-system and/or coding-system-p sounds about right.

Yes.  Perhaps, coding-system-p is better because
setup_coding_system is called in rather deep places, and I'm
not sure signalling an error at such places is safe or not.

By the way, for that, we must pay attention to
find-coding-systems-region.  Without loading a coding
system, it can't find out that coding system is safe or not.
Is it ok that find-coding-systems-region won't return such
coding systems that are not yet loaded?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden