Re: Assignment for cua.el (was: Re: Highlighting rectangles?)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Assignment for cua.el (was: Re: Highlighting rectangles?)
Date: 06 Nov 2001 12:38:19 +0100

>     However, according to the wording of the assignment I would
>     claim "that I am the sole copyright holder for the Program".
>     It includes code copyrighted by FSF and by Rick Sladkey.
>
> Copying the FSF-copyrighted code is no problem: the FSF can't sue you
> for "giving" it what it already owns.  But using the code by Rick
> Sladkey does require papers from him.  I expect he would be willing to
> sign papers, if we can find him.  Can anyone find him?

Richard,

Here is the reply from Rick Sladkey:

: I already have a general assignment on file at the FSF for all my
: changes and enhancements to Emacs:
:
:                             ASSIGNMENT
:
:    For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which I acknowledge, I,
: J. Richard Sladkey, hereby transfer to the Free Software Foundation, Inc. (the
: "Foundation") my entire right, title, and interest (including all rights
: under copyright) in my changes and enhancements to the program GNU Emacs,
: including those I have already written and those I shall write in the future,
: subject to the conditions below.  These changes and enhancements
: are herein called the "Work".

So according to Rick, there'll be no problem for me signing the assignment
for cua.el even though it is partially based on his rect-mark.el package.

I'll sign and post the assignment today!

++kfs