Re: lexical mumblings

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: lexical mumblings
Date: 07 Nov 2001 00:02:59 +0900

Incidentally, I have a few questions concerning variable naming
conventions.

(1) I changed the lisp name of the interpreter binding stack to be
    `internal-interpreter-lexical-environment'.  However, as I mentioned
    before, this is long enough to be a bit awkward in the C code
    (especially since `internal' is a bit inaccurate in that case), so I
    just called the C variable `Vinterpreter_lexical_environment'.  I'm not
    sure I like this, though, since using a `V' prefix implies to me that
    the name is the same as the lisp variable name, so it occured to me
    that it might better to just not use the prefix (especially since this
    is `really' a C variable, which should very rarely be used in lisp).

    In other words, these variable names:

        C:    interpreter_lexical_environment   (no `V' prefix)
        Lisp: internal-interpreter-lexical-environment

    The only existing variable with an `internal-' prefix that I could find
    is `internal-doc-file-name'; the C version of that variable indeed also
    drops the `internal' prefix, but it still uses a `V' prefix
    (`Vdoc_file_name').

(2) I implemented the file-variable to turn on lexical binding, but I'm
    not entirely sure what the exact variable name should be.

    Should it be `descriptive':

        ;; -*- lexically-bound: t -*-

    or `prescriptive':

        ;; -*- use-lexical-binding: t -*-

    or something in between, e.g.:

        ;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

    or something a bit more general sounding (though falsely so, I guess):

        ;; -*- binding: lexical -*-

    [The last seems the most similar to existing file-variables,
     e.g. `mode: foo', or `coding: bar', but those can genuinely have more
     than two values!]

    Anyone have opinions on this one?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page