Proposal: emulation-mode-map-alist

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Proposal: emulation-mode-map-alist
Date: 06 Nov 2001 22:33:29 +0100

I have been looking into changing my cua mode to use a number of minor mode
keymaps rather than the current mess with the key-translation-map.

However, one problem with this is that I need to be sure that my
keymaps are kept at the head of the minor-mode-map-alist since I
need to be able to override C-x and C-c independently of what other
minor mode keymaps may be doing with those prefix keys.

Looking at other packages, I can see that viper mode has a similar
problem, and it solves this by explicitly checking - and rearranging -
the minor-mode-map-alist in a post-command hook.

I guess I could let cua mode do the same, but I've thought about it,
and it seems more generic to introduce a new emulation-mode-map-alist
variable which functions just like minor-mode-map-alist and
minor-mode-overriding-map-alist, but comes before those.

The idea is that while the contents and order of minor-mode-map-alist
and minor-mode-overriding-map-alist changes over time, the
emulation-mode-map-alist is "static" and should be reserved for
packages (such as cua and viper) which requires a specific order of
keymap lookup.

I'm not quite sure, but I think emulation-mode-map-alist should also
come before overriding-local-map (the viper experts might have an
option about this).