Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:10:47 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     By the way, for that, we must pay attention to
>     find-coding-systems-region.  Without loading a coding
>     system, it can't find out that coding system is safe or not.
>     Is it ok that find-coding-systems-region won't return such
>     coding systems that are not yet loaded?
>
> Is it possible to identify just a part of the coding system info
> which is sufficient for find-coding-systems-region, have that part
> always loaded, and autoload the rest?

It seems like all you need is for char-coding-system-table to know
about all the possible coding systems.  Handa-san, is that right?

>     It might be (almost) okay; it's certainly no worse than what we have
>     now ;-)
>
> It could indeed be worse.  If this information currently is always
> loaded, then currently find-coding-systems-region always can handle
> all coding systems.  Making it fail to handle some coding systems
> COULD make it worse.

No, the current situation is that this information is _never_ loaded
automatically.  So the cpNNN coding systems simply don't exist for
Emacs until you invoke codepage-setup.