Re: address@hidden: Re: X Input Methods support is not very convenient]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: X Input Methods support is not very convenient]
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:25:17 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     The original issue was the fact that Emacs 21.1 needs the locale set
>     correctly (via $LANG or $LC_ALL) for the non-ASCII X keysyms to be
>     decoded as users expect.
>
> I could work on this; it doesn't look too hard.  But that sentence is
> ambiguous.  Are you describing what Emacs does wrong, or what it ought
> to do to be right?

I think the issue here is that a user currently cannot switch the
locale used for X keysyms decoding from within a running Emacs
session.  That means you cannot easily change the language in which
you are typing, unless you use Leim.

> What locale do I want to set up before the call to XOpenIM?

The one specified by the user, I think; the default should be taken
from LANG and its ilk, like we do now.

I guess we need a new command for switching the locale for XOpenIM, or
maybe something that would be called by set-keyboard-coding-system.  I
was never happy about the X-vs-non-X differences in the aspects
related to the keyboard; perhaps now is the time to fix that.