Re: Customizing the fringe bitmaps

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: Customizing the fringe bitmaps
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:33:05 +0100

   From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
   Date: 08 Nov 2001 13:55:45 +0100

   > A b&w image would be a simple text string like this:
   >  "BW 8 8\n........\n.****...\n.*..*...\n...  (etc)"

How is this different from editing XPM files? Just implement interface for
easier editing of XPM/XBM/PBM files...

   > The header line specifies a black&white image of height 8 and width 8,
   > while the remaining (8) lines specifies b/w bitmap.
   >
   > It would be easy to enhance this to support color images, e.g.
   >  "CLR 16 8 8 \nA=#119944, B=red, C= (etc)\n..AABBC.\n.AABBCC.\n... (etc)"

I think we should not invent our own standards or image formats...

   > Images with many colors will need some other representation (e.g. two
   > characters per color), but that is still doable.

:-) Do not invent XPM from scratch...
--
Pavel Janík

But for the user this does not matter, he just sees a frozen
machine. Even if it would recover in some hours ;)
                  -- Hubert Mantel