Re: Customizing the fringe bitmaps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customizing the fringe bitmaps
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 01:30:33 -0700 (MST)

    > No, please don't implement it that way.  The clean thing to do is make
    > the value of the actual variables be one of the binary formats already
    > supported in :image.  Then you can have functions to convert between
    > that format and ASCII art.

    Yes, that would be much better!

    However, I still think the idea of being able to edit the fringe bitmaps
    directly in emacs is appealing.

Yes, that could be useful.  Given the features to convert between
ASCII art and bitmaps, an Emacs feature to edit all kinds of images
in Emacs by conversion to ASCII art becomes possible.  It should
be made general enough to edit images for various purposes, not
specifically for fringe bitmaps.

    The idea is to add support to emacs for a new ascii based image format.

What does it mean to call this an "image format"?  I see no reason to
make Emacs redisplay support the direct use of this format for display.
Its use is for editing.

If some existing ASCII image format is suitable, then we may as well
use it, just for the sake of increased compatibility.