Re: address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: Abnormal High CPU Usage]]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: Abnormal High CPU Usage]]
Date: 10 Nov 2001 09:38:05 +0900

Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:
> Before publishing unpack the tar file and test it.  If it doesn't build
> don't update the old file but write a README file.  Maybe it's enough to
> publish a CVS snapshot weekly.

I don't think it's worth the trouble.

I think the most common approach used by projects (that I'm aware of
anyway) is to just make a daily snapshot, and say `this is untested; if
it breaks go back to your old one, or get an earlier snapshot'.

Obviously this only works well if such snapshots are `usually' reliable,
but I think this is the case with emacs.  The first thing I do every
morning when I go to work is to update emacs from CVS, rebuild, and
install.  I wouldn't do this if it crashed very often (I think there's
only been one time when it built but failed to start, and a few more
times where I had to fix minor compilation problems).

-Miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.