No left fringe

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: No left fringe
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:18:57 -0700 (MST)

    I too would like to be able to choose no fringe! In particular, I am
    having great trouble appreciating the one on the left.

The left fringe helps to indicate continuation.
Do you find that is not useful?

It is also used when truncate-lines is non-nil, to show
horizontal scrolling, and in GUD mode.  Perhaps you don't
ever use those modes.

If you got rid of both fringes, how would you like line continuation
to be shown?  The same way as on a text console?  That way would
not be hard.