Re: JIT stealth font-lock tuning parameters

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: JIT stealth font-lock tuning parameters
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:11:33 -0700 (MST)

    To solve this, I suggested to change the values of two variables
    which tune the operation of JIT stealth:

     (setq jit-lock-stealth-time 16)
     (setq jit-lock-stealth-nice 0.5)

    (The default values are 3 and 0.125, respectively.)

Why increase jit-lock-stealth-time?  I don't see a benefit for that.

As for jit-lock-stealth-nice, the reduction is probably a good idea on
machines that are lightly loaded, such as personal machines.  It might
be a bad idea on machines that are typically more loaded.

Maybe the best thing is to use a formula based on the load average to
decide how long this should be.  Maybe also estimate the total
speed of the computer--that should not be hard to do.