Re: Removing info entries when uninstalling?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Removing info entries when uninstalling?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:17:27 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?= wrote:

> when installing info pages, we do:
>
>         for f in ada-mode autotype ccmode cl dired-x ebrowse ediff efaq elisp
> emacs emacs-mime eshell eudc forms gnus idlwave info message mh-e pcl-cvs
> reftex sc speedbar vip viper widget woman; do \
>           (cd $${thisdir}; \
>            ${INSTALL_INFO} --info-dir=${infodir} ${infodir}/$$f); \
>         done;
>
> But when uninstalling, we do not remove these entries from
> ${infodir}/dir. I think, we should. Opinions?

I think "make uninstall" in GNU software traditionally doesn't remove
entries from the DIR files.  Personally, I don't see any reason to do
that: an entry in DIR doesn't do any harm, even if the manual it points
to is not installed.  Moreover, there could be another version of the
same manual installed somewhere else on that system.